Saturday, March 20, 2010

Why overthrow yourself?

One morning in the mid-90's I found myself in a Kinkos making hundreds of 8x11 copies with only two big words printed neatly on each page. "OVERTHROW YOURSELF" I proceeded to hang most of these impromptu posters across the campus of Morgan State University within the next few hours.

While the effect of my shared epiphany is about as unquantifiable as how many licks it takes to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop, I continue to find inspiration in the words.

I see "OVERTHROW YOURSELF" as a rallying cry from myself to myself. A personal reminder to continually challenge my inner tyrant. A call to fearlessly question my current "self" and leave room for a more genuine "self" to emerge. It tells me to be prepared to be unprepared, to be ready to not have the answer, ready to learn, to grow and to change.

What does it say to you?

1 comment:

  1. I remember that. I might have helped you hang some of those signs. That part, I don't remember.

    ReplyDelete